Squash Pumpkin & Red Lentil Soup
This is one of the amazing fall recipes I have included in the Two Week Fresh Start program. It is dairy-free and yet extremely creamy and decadent. Pairs perfectly with a nice toasted sandwich.
• 1/2 cup of organic creamed coconut (coconut cream from a can after coconut milk is drained)
• 1 cup organic red lentils
• 1½ liters of organic quality bone broth (kettle and fire)
• ¼1 butternut squash chopped into cubes
• 1/2 can of unsweetened organic pumpkin puree
• 2 red onions chopped
• 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
• 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger, or more to taste
• salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Top with toasted pumpkin seeds, avocado, shredded cheese, or bacon crumbles
In a large saucepan, dissolve the creamed coconut with some filtered water until melted. Throw in the garlic, onions, pumpkin, squash and lentils with a pinch of salt and stir until coated. Add in the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Simmer on a medium flame for about 40 minutes until the lentils are cooked through.
You can also make this in a crockpot, sautee veggies first then add in remaining ingredients and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
The soup should be quite thick and the vegetables should have broken down. You could mash further with a stick blender or food processor, but it is your choice for the texture.
Top with additional toppings and enjoy!