Zucchini Enchilada Lasagna
My original idea with this recipe was to make zucchini enchiladas and roll the zucchini slices up like traditional enchiladas. That didn't work out as planned so I decided to switch it up and layer the zucchini instead which is why it is now Zucchini Enchilada Lasagna! All the great flavors of enchiladas, and all the yummy layers of a lasagna.
· 3-4 medium-size zucchini
· 1 packet of Frontera Enchilada sauce
· 1 cup shredded cheese (I used goat’s milk cheddar)
· 16 oz. ground meat
· ½ onion chopped
· 1 TBS olive oil
· 2 cups of chopped spinach
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Over medium heat cook, the chopped on onions in the olive oil till they’re soft.
3. Then add in the ground meat and cook through.
4. Once the meat is cooked you can add in the chopped spinach and half of the enchilada sauce. Stir to mix everything together and turn down the heat to low.
5. With a vegetable peeler or sharp knife, slice the zucchini lengthwise into zucchini shaped lasagna noodles, about ½ in. thick.
6. In a baking dish ( I used an 8x8 glass baking dish). Place a spoon full of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the dish. Add a layer of zucchini lasagna noodles evenly across the bottom.
7. Top the zucchini layer evenly with the meat and veggie mixture.
8. On top of the meat and veggie layer start another zucchini noddle layer, followed by a meat and veggie layer. Keep repeating these layers until you run out of the meat mixture and have enough zucchini noodles to top off the dish.
9. On top of the last zucchini noodle layer pour the remaining enchilada sauce all over the top and sprinkle the cheese on top of it.
10. Cover the enchilada lasagna with foil and bake for 20 minutes, remove the foil and bake for another 10.
11. Enjoy with some Siete’ chips on the side!