Red Heart Chocolate Chip Cookies
Updated: Feb 20, 2020
Valentine’s Day BEET heart red gluten free/grain free chocolate chip cookies to share with the ones you love! If you're short on time to bake, scroll down to the bottom of the recipe to find a recipe cheat step!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 12-15 minutes
Servings 8-12 cookies depending on size
Author Colleen Clesen
· 1 cup of almond flour
· 3/4 cup gluten free oats ground into flour (Look for glyphosphate free symbol)
If wanting grain free you can substitute the oat flour for ½ cup more of almond flour
· 3 TBS coconut flour
· 1/3 cup coconut oil
· 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
· 1 egg
· 2-3 TBS beet powder (add more powder to get a deeper red color)
· ½ cup coconut sugar or date sugar
· 1 bar of 80% dark chocolate broken up into chunks
· 1/2 tsp baking powder
· 1/4 unsweetened nut milk (may need to add more or less if too dry)
1. In a mixing bowl mix together the dry ingredients: almond flour, oat flour, coconut flour, beet powder, sugar and baking powder.
2. In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients together: melted coconut oil, extract, egg, and nut milk.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
4. Add in the chocolate chunks once dough has formed. It should be a dryer cookie dough, but wet enough to form a ball.
5. Depending on the size you want take 1-2 TBS of dough and shape into hearts with your hands. The great thing about this recipe is that the dough will not spread when baking.
6. Place your hearts on a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake at 350-degrees for roughly 12 minutes or until bottom is golden brown.
7. Cool & serve!
*If you’re short on time and ingredients a quick way to make these cookies is to buy the Simple Mills chocolate chip cookie mix. Follow the directions on the box to make the dough and add in the beet powder to color the dough. Shape the cookies into hearts and bake!