BLT Spaghetti Squash
Low carb twist on your favorite BLT sandwich! Filled with lots of veggies and healthy fats! Gluten free, grain free & dairy free.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30-40 minutes
Author Colleen Clesen
· 1 medium size spaghetti squash
· 4-6 slices of nitrate free unsweetened bacon
· 1 cup cherry tomatoes (omit if sensitive to nightshades)
· 2-3 cups arugula
· 2 tbs olive oil or ghee
· 1 tablespoon dried basil
· 1 tsp garlic powder
· salt & pepper to taste
· Can top with organic hormone free cheese of your choice and serve with roasted veggies on the side, I like to use asparagus as a side dish with this entree
1. Start by cooking the spaghetti squash. Cut the spaghetti squash down the middle and scoop out the seeds into the garbage.
2. There are several different ways to prepare your spaghetti squash. I will share 3 ways below:
Microwave: Place spaghetti squash-cut side up- in the microwave and heat on high for 10 minutes. After ten minutes check to see if the squash’s skin is pliable, if not place in the microwave for a remaining 5 minutes or until tender.
Pressure Cooker: Place spaghetti squash-cut side down- in the pressure cooker with ½-1 cup of water. Pressure cook on high for 12-15 minutes.
Oven: Place spaghetti squash-cut side down- in a glass baking dish. Fill the dish with enough water to cover the bottom of the dish by ½ an inch. Just enough to steam the squash. Place in a 400-degree oven for 30-40 minutes.
3. While the spaghetti squash is cooking roast your cherry tomatoes in the oven at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes, can also roast your side veggie of choice, I used a bundle of asparagus. Coat the tomatoes and asparagus with a drizzle of olive oil, salt & pepper.
4. While the veggies are roasting cook your bacon in a cast iron skillet to your liking, cool and crumble into pieces.
5. Once your spaghetti squash is cooked let it cool for a few minutes and then take a fork to the inside of the squash and pull apart/scrape the squash “noodles” out and place into a bowl.
6. Clean out the skillet the bacon was cooked in and toss the spaghetti squash, bacon, roasted tomatoes, arugula, ghee/olive oil, and seasonings together and warm through for 5 minutes.
7. Serve with asparagus on the side and top with cheese of your choice!