Blackened Fish Tacos
Light & tasty fish tacos perfect for grilling out during hot summer days! This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, and paleo!
· ¾ lb-1lb of Mahi Mahi (or fish of your preference)
· 2 Limes
· 1 bunch of cilantro
· 1 TBS agave
· ¼ cup of finely chopped white onion
· Tortillas of your choice (I used the Siete grain-free tortillas)
· Cabbage Slaw Mix (I purchased a pre-sliced slaw mix with green & purple cabbage and carrots)
· 1 avocado
· 2-3TBS of water
· 1 clove of garlic
· 3 TBS of avocado oil based mayo
Blackened Seasoning Mix:
o 1 tsp salt
o 1 tsp black pepper
o ½ tsp cayenne pepper
o ½ tsp garlic powder
o ½ tsp onion powder
o 1 tsp paprika
o ½ tsp cumin
o 1 tsp chili powder
o 1-2 TBS Olive oil
1. You first want to make your slaw to make sure it has 15-20 minutes to marinade before your meal. In a medium-size bowl add about 3 cups of slaw mix with the juice of 1 lime, the chopped onions, and a handful of chopped cilantro. Stir in salt & pepper to taste. Place in the refrigerator to marinade.
2. Next prep your fish, make sure skin and bones are removed, and in a small bowl mix the blackening spices all together. Coat the fish thoroughly with the spices.
3. In a cast-iron skillet either on the stovetop or grill preheat at medium heat with the 1-2 tbs of olive oil in the pan.
4. Place the fish into the cast iron skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until fish is cooked through.
5. While fish is cooking you can prep the avocado cilantro crema sauce. In a blender add the avocado, a handful of cilantro, 1 lime juiced, 1 clove of garlic, mayo, water, salt & pepper to taste.
6. Once the fish is thoroughly cooked turn off the heat and set aside.
7. Preheat another skillet to warm up your tortillas of choice.
8. With a fork, you can break up the fish into chunks or flake it gently. Assemble your tacos with the heated tortilla, some blackened fish, a couple of spoon fulls of the slaw, and drizzle the avocado cilantro crema sauce on top.
9. Enjoy with a Margarita 😊